The Kickback Forum Index The Kickback
http://www.thekickback.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All That Jazz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Kickback Forum Index -> News and Poll Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gumby
Sweet Transvestite

Location: the moon-drenched shores of my(not yours) most beloved planet

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: All That Jazz Reply with quote

Today officially marks the end of the 35th annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, ďJazz FestĒ, a monumental musical event at the New Orleans Fair Grounds that lasts two weekends. The patrons attending the event are just as diverse as the performers including such notable persons as, Lenny Kravitz, an annual performer, Galactic, Jaheim & Floherty, B.B. King, Pete Fountain, Native American Powwows, and this yearís focal attraction, Harry Connick Jr., a New Orleans native and graduate of the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts (NOCCA). Regretfully, rain hindered the event daily and caused the event to be completely cancelled on Friday, April 30, meaning that all acts for that day, including Connick Jr.ís, were cancelled, leaving tourists to tour other parts of the city which they otherwise wouldnít have attempted, while I was innocently digesting a hamburger with my friends, Jarmay and Amanda, in the food court of the Riverwalk Shopping Center.

Donít misinterpret me; this report is not intended to focus on Harry Connick Jr., nor the surplusage of tourism, but on the intent of this yearís Jazz Fest that could easily be, but hopefully not, overlooked by most, considering the preceding events which I have just detailed. Besides celebrating the Festís 35th annual run, this year also included a celebration in honor of 10th anniversary of the liberation of the free nation of South Africa. A separate stage with adjacent tents had been constructed to promote South African performing and visual artists, as well as to promote an understanding and sympathy for the culture and people of South Africa.

In the early 20th century, South Africa came under the control of the Nationalist Party, and gradually the country began to be segregated in favor of the White citizens. Blacks were not allowed in parliament, to use mail or other government funded corporations, and were forced to live in townships that make even the most repulsive American slum seem like a country club. Citizens were forced to be classified as a race and were classified by whichever race they outwardly appeared to be, no matter what oneís heritage actually was, meaning that some family members were segregated from one another. This continued, along with racially influenced violence, for many years until the late 80ís and early 90ís, when citizens of all races began to demanded governmental reform. In 1994, South Africa became a democratic nation when Nelson Mandela was elected as the nationís first president. Despite this, South Africa is still a nation stricken by poverty, but conditions are improving monumentally on a daily basis.

South Africa is a rather diverse country, filled not solely with the African, Black, savage stereotype that many have come to associate with South Africa, but also with many Caucasian, Asian, and Arab peoples, all of whom had contributed to South Africa and itís culture for hundres of years.
SOUTH AFRICAN FREEDOM CELEBRATION 1994-2004.

We live in a material world, and I hate to admit it, but for a minute there; I lost myself...

Last edited by Gumby on Mon May 03, 2004 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
|darc|
Rex Kickbackis

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice news post Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xylene
Kickback Respected

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have my two minutes back?
Gumby
Sweet Transvestite

Location: the moon-drenched shores of my(not yours) most beloved planet

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god, don't show your own ignorance, Xylene.

We live in a material world, and I hate to admit it, but for a minute there; I lost myself...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anti-Hero Dark
Ultra Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumby wrote:
Dear god, don't show your own ignorance, Xylene.

I didn't say it, I'm just quoting it.

BTW, nice post. Very informitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Kickback Forum Index -> News and Poll Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: